Movie Review: SING (Special Edition) Blu-ray Combo Pack
SING was directed by Christophe Lourdelet and Garth Jennings who also wrote the story, and features the voice talents of Matthew McConaughey, Reese Witherspoon, Scarlett Johansson, Taron Egerton, Seth MacFarlane, John C. Reilly, Nick Offerman, Nick Kroll, Rhea Perlman, Jennifer Hudson and Tori Kelly.
From Illumination, the studio that brought you The Secret Life of Pets and the Despicable Me franchise, comes an animated comedy about finding the music that lives inside all of us. SING stars Academy Award winner† Matthew McConaughey as Buster Moon, an eternally optimistic koala who puts on the world’s greatest singing competition to save his crumbling theater; Academy Award winner†† Reese Witherspoon as Rosita, an overworked and unappreciated mother of 25 piglets desperate to unleash her inner diva; Scarlett Johansson as Ash, a punk rock porcupine with a beautiful voice behind her prickly exterior; Taron Egerton as Johnny, a young gangster gorilla looking to break free of his family’s felonies; as well as Seth MacFarlane, John C. Reilly, and Grammy Award-nominated Tori Kelly. SING is the musical comedy event of the year!
The story centers around Buster Moon (Matthew McConaughey ) who is having a tough time keeping his theater open so he decides to put on a talent show (think “The Voice” or “American Idol”) that offers a cash prize to the winner. The thing is, he’s broke and there’s no prize. His top talent includes Mike (Seth McFarlane), a mouse with a big ego and even bigger personal problems; Rosita (Reese Witherspoon), an overworked mother of many who simply wants to have a little fun; there’s Johnny (Taron Egerton), a young gorilla trying not to follow in his father’s footsteps; Ash (Scarlett Johansson), a punk rock porcupine who can sing like a pro while she shreds her guitar; and finally there’s Meena (Tori Kelly), a shy and timid elephant who has to overcome a giant case of stagefright so she can show off her amazing talent. When these talented singing animals find out there’s no cash prize, Buster thinks it’s over and hits an all-time low, but when they show him that all they want to do is SING, it inspires him to come up with a new game plan.
The story for SING was a lot of fun and included lots of silly performances as well as emotional and inspiring topics like forgiveness and overcoming personal obstacles. I really enjoy how animated movies like this can incorporate real life topics into their stories but still be able to dish out the laughs and SING does a really good job with that. The impressive voice cast did a great job giving each of these interesting characters their own unique attitudes and personalities that shine throughout the watch. It was just a matter of time until Matthew McConaughey got his turn at voicing an animated character and it looks like he had a fun time doing it. So, who was my favorite character you ask? Well, it was none other than director Garth Jennings who voiced the amazing Miss Crawly, a unique character like no other! I’ve also gotta give a major props to the talented artists over at Illumination because they continue to crank out some really impressive animation.
The packaging comes with a slipcover. The front features the artwork you see up top and the back includes movie details, some images and list of special features. Both discs only feature the movie logo and do not include any artwork. Inserting the disc, the menu screen was simple and easy to navigate. The picture and sound quality for the high-definition disc were crisp and clear. The picture and sound quality for the standard-definition disc were really good. I didn’t have any issues with the video and audio. Also, be sure you crank the volume up on this one because the soundtrack is great!
Bottom line is, SING ended up being a really enjoyable movie with a great story, cool music, and so many likable characters. There’s a lot of good things about this movie and I guess the only bad part is the fact that we’ve gotten plenty of animated features over the past few years that included an all animal cast so the originality was kind of just okay. What helped this one was this cast of likable characters and the music. Oh yeah, the music was a lot of fun. I’m usually not a fan of musicals but when it comes to singing and dancing animals you can count me in! Even though SING isn’t as entertaining or silly as Despicable Me or Minions, it’s still another really good addition to Illumination’s growing library of family friendly animated movies. Who knows, one day we may even see an expanded universe where all these likable characters come together. You never know! This fun animated musical will release on Blu-ray+DVD+Digital HD Combo Pack on March 21st.
Distributor: Universal Pictures Home Entertainment
Run Time: 108 Minutes
Blu-ray Video: 1080p High-Definition Widescreen (1.85:1)
Blu-ray Audio: Dolby True HD and 2.0 / Spanish Dolby Digital Plus 7.1 / French Dolby Digital 5.1
DVD Video: Anamorphic Widescreen (1.85:1)
DVD Audio: English, Spanish and French Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, French and Spanish
Special Features: Good Stuff! This home video release features over an hour of extras that includes three all-new entertaining mini-movies, featurettes, character profiles, music videos and lots more. You can see the full list below.
- Gunter Babysits – Gunter offers to watch all of Rosita’s 25 piglets for the night, trying to prove he’s the best babysitter ever. (03:47)
- Love At First Sight – During a piano lesson with Johnny, Miss Crawly becomes nostalgic about the dancing and romancing of her youth. Johnny convinces her that it’s not too late to find someone and helps her setup a profile on a dating website. (04:18)
- Eddie’s Life Coach – Eddie’s mom signs her slacker son up for a digital training seminar to get his life back on track. (04:16)
- “Don’t You Worry ‘Bout A Thing” Music Video – A cool and unique music video starring Tori Kelly. (03:11)
- Making a Music Video with Tori Kelly – A behind the scenes look at the making of Tori’s music video with exclusive insights provided by Tori herself. (02:52)
- “Faith” Music Video (02:46)
- “Faith” Lyric Video (02:49)
- “Set It All Free” Lyric Video (03:40)
- The Making of SING – We take you through the animation studios of Illumination with interviews from Chris Meledandri, producer Janet Healy, the various animation teams and the voice talent of SING. (04:40)
- Finding the Rhythm: Editing SING – Illumination editor Greg Perler, takes us inside the edit bay and reveals the secrets behind cutting an animated film. We’ll plunge into his world in this fun and eye-opening peek inside the room where the magic gets put together. (02:44)
- Character Profiles – Profiles on the incredible cast, all lending their voices to bring these animated characters to life. (12:25)
- Matthew McConaughey as Buster Moon
- Reese Witherspoon as Rosita
- Tori Kelly as Meena
- Taron Egerton as Johnny
- Nick Kroll as Gunter
- Garth Jennings as Miss Crawly
- SING & Dance! – “Faith” – Celebrity choreographer Aakomon Jones takes us through a dance routine inspired by SING and the song, “Faith.” (06:31)
- The SING Network – The SING Network brings you the latest news and highlights the business endeavors of your favorite SING stars.
- Gunter’s Dance Studio (01:22)
- The Moon Theater (00:43)
- Rosita’s Babysitting Gizmo (01:03)
- Miss Crawly’s Matchmaking Service (00:55)
- In The News – SING’S True Entertaining Stories highlights each of the Moon Theater’s newest stars. (09:09)
- Buster Moon
- The Best Of Gunter – A rapid-fire, fun mash-up of all the best Gunter one-liners. (01:03)
- The Making Of The Mini-Movies – We’ll explore the themes of each of the mini-movies through the eyes of the artists who made them. (05:56)